It's time! You have decided to sell your home and realized that you need to do some staging to get it in tip-top shape to entice buyers. Here are 5 staging tips for getting your home market-ready!
1. Boost Curb Appeal - Many people (including myself) will do a quick drive-by of a property before deciding if they want to tour the inside. Make sure your home is ready to lure in prospective home-buyers.
Power wash siding and sidewalks
Mow the lawn and trim the hedges
Plant fresh flowers and greenery
Place potted plants on the porch
Wash the windows
Make sure your house numbers are easy to read
Paint the porch (if needed)
2. Clean, Clean, Clean - You want that palace to shine! Clean the floors, windows,and counters, and scrub the grout. Every surface should sparkle! Remember, sometimes this isn't the easiest task in the world...you may want to hire pros to do some of the really tough stuff, especially if you have a large home.
3. Clear Away Clutter- It's wonderful to see your family's smiling faces on the mantle or shelf, but a prospective buyer doesn't want to see this. They want to imagine their family living there. Put away your personal photos, knick-knacks, and counter clutter, and make sure your cabinets are not overflowing. You may want to opt for a short-term storage facility or relative's garage. Trust me, it's worth it!
4. Paint with Neutral Colors -Being a lover of color, I understand wanting to paint every room a vibrant hue, but stick to sophisticated neutrals that appeal to the masses. Mid-tone neutrals like mocha and grey create a backdrop that will make everything look more pulled together.
5. Stage the Outdoor Area Too - The outside of your home is an extension of the inside living area. You want the prospective buyers to venture onto the porch or into the backyard and imagine an area where they can relax on a warm summer's eve.
Check out Chaney Homes, based in Chester, MD, for some more great staging tips and design ideas!